Sunday, May 2, 2010

Unfinished

I don't exactly have the energy for a full update at this time. I will say a few things though.

Pertaining to my previous post: We managed to luck upon an old machine shop/fabricator man, clearly a guy who had been doing this kind of shit all his life, to bend our shift rod straight for us. Eric guesses this guy to be in his 70s. He set this thing on his 50-ton H-frame manual-pump hydraulic press and fucking eyeballed this thing, pressing it until it was straight. When another guy met up with us and measured how straight it was, he clocked us a total indicated runout (TIR) of .006". Which means this thing was three thousandths of an inch away from being perfectly straight.



And this guy fucking eyeballed this. Really amazing. He was quite the character too, and seeing/listening to him made me feel kind of like I was plopped into a Coen brothers movie.

No, we did not finish the full engine-and-wiring-harness swap. We pulled the drivetrain from the ZX2 and set it up in the garage to get fixed up. Fixed a couple of oil pan punctures, replaced a valve cover and a few other miscellaneous bits. 



We got hung up on rebuilding the transmission. Well, not so much the rebuilding as the reassembly. It won't shift correctly without getting locked into gear. So that blows donkey balls. We'll have to figure all that shit out soon.

I'll post more details hen (if) I get the energy for a more complete update. In the mean time, keep an eye over at assonancerood for his breakdown of the project. If you want to see a few more pictures from the weekend, hit up my web album. Some of those pictures were taken by Eric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment